All Courses Forums Course Discussion Forums Strategic Chaplaincy Week 2 / Strategic Chaplaincy / Interview w/ Larry Gray

4 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Joy Freeman 2 years, 8 months ago
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Rose McKeown
      @rmckeown

I also found this interview to be very engaging. I’m sorry that I was not part of the live presentation. I forgot about the time change!
      Larry is certainly an example of a life-long learner! I appreciated his sharing his background with us and am amazed at all the experience he has had and how he continues to help others in their growth.
      I hadn’t thought about how I influenced the culture of the organization but I realize that we Sisters have done that all along as we sponsored the hospital for 100 years. As a Catholic healthcare system, just like the Baptist Health System Larry was part of, it was a very welcoming environment to practice the values of compassion and care as a healthcare system. As pastoral care director, I was also on the Mission Effectiveness team and took part in new employee orientation sharing the history of the hospital and the mission of the hospital. Employees had a sense that all their work had a pastoral care dimension to it.
      But then change came as we Sisters were no longer able to sponsor the hospital for a variety of reasons. We merged with Memorial Health System out of Springfield, Il. It was a good match as they at one time had been a Lutheran hospital. They very much respected the legacy of the Sisters and wished to carry it on and grow to the next phase of the hospital’s history.
      There were just two of us Sisters left in the hospital. How could we provide care for this new organization as well as for the individuals in it? Here, Larry’s explanation of having a ‘growth mindset’ vs. a ‘scarcity mindset’ comes to play. As many of the employees and town folks were lamenting the change, grieving the loss, we two Sisters had the mission to help staff and town to see the opportunities and possibilities that could be because of this change. The hospital has grown leaps and bounds in the 12 years that it has been part of Memorial Health System-from having a very good EAP program for staff, a very good retirement and savings plan and improved salaries, improved care for patients with improved technology etc. etc. Using the “growth mindset” we continue to grow and flourish. In a year from now, we will move into a new hospital building with the newest technologies in patient care.
      There will be more organizational grief when the present day building is torn down and pastoral care will be involved in ritualizing that grief yet also celebrating the hopeful future that awaits us. Changes we’ve had: move to category of a Critical Access Hospital, no more maternity unit, change of sponsorship, removal of some of the religious articles and signs, fewer Sisters and now a new building and a tearing down of the old.
      Chaplains also make daily rounds with staff and patients. We do not have ‘chaplaincy by referral” at the hospital. We do in hospice and it is something I am not in agreement with. At the hospital every new patient is visited and follow-up visits are made each day.
      We have a prayer box by chapel and people place their prayer requests there and often a phone number for pastoral care staff to respond. We have the blessing of hands during hospital week. All this helps to influence the culture of the organizational.
      We are blessed with a System leadership who very much have that ‘emotional intelligence’ that Larry spoke of . They have an ‘open-door’ policy, especially here at our hospital. Our system leaders CONNECT with employees through workplace. They share their part and employees can ask questions which are responded to in a timely manner.
      Our CEO will often come to me as Sister and chaplain asking for input and prayer support.

Joy Freeman
      Participant
      @jfreeman

Rose,

I too picked up on what he was saying about a growth mindset vs a scarcity mindset.  I would love to hear more how you helped move your organization to where you describe it above.  It sounds like you really engaged the idea of growth mindset.  I also wonder if we as people of faith have an unique set of skills and insights to help do this.

Joy

Rose McKeown
        @rmckeown

Joy, I am not sure how to answer this except by saying that I try to walk with staff and towns folks as they lament ‘there’s no more Sisters’ and the old is being torn down. At the same time, people do realize the benefits that have come with the merger and the blessing that it is to have a hospital here in this town. I do very much believe, as you wonder, that as people of faith we do have a unique set of skills and insights to help do this. Our Foundress always said “It is God’s work” and God at work in all of us. And, that in the end, all will be well. What’s the saying? “Work like it all depended on us. Trust like it all depends on God” or something like that. Don’t know if all of this answers your question.
        Where I have to trust right now is what will pastoral care look like once I retire and there are no more Sisters? Pastoral Care is valued in all the hospitals throughout the System, the other critical access hospital included. So, I trust it will also continue to be valued here.

Joy Freeman
        Participant
        @jfreeman

Rose,

This does answer well my question.  Sounds like good work you are doing.

Joy

Joy Freeman
      Participant
      @jfreeman

Does anyone have the link they can post here to the live interview for today?  I managed to delete the e-mail that had it.

Thank you,

Joy

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.