Tagged: 

4 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Tim Peters 3 years, 6 months ago
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

After the Week 1 readings and assignments, please answer the following questions in this forum thread:

1. What’s your chief takeaway from the reading?
      2. How does blessing play a part in your work?
      3. Tell about a time when you felt blessed by the actions of another. What did you learn from that?
      4. Can you tell about a time when you felt a blessing was withheld from you or another? What were the consequences?
      5. What scriptures come to mind when you think of the concept of blessing?
      6. Are there any hymns or songs that come to mind? Share a link to one or more and explain your choice.

Tim Peters
      @TimPeters

1.  My chief take away was the difference of material and spiritual blessings.  It made me take a step back and think about what is most important in life and what blessings I seek.

2.  My job is to bless others.  The words I share with the hospice patients and their families are to bring life to them.  My listening and way of being with them is to encourage and help them to find hope.  Another aspect of my job is blessing my coworkers and helping them to have full tanks to give to those we serve.

3.  One time I felt blessed was when my friend Joe took time to mentor me and help me with my self esteem.  He encouraged me that I am important and that I matter to him.  I felt better after hearing his words of encouragement at different times.  I learned I can do the same for others.

4. A time a blessing was with held from me was when my dad did not recognize chaplaincy as a valid form of ministry.  I felt bad, and also learned to accept that not everyone understands what chaplaincy is about.

5. Psalm 103 comes to mind about blessing the Lord.  Numbers 6:24-26 come to mind about blessing others.  And the prayer of Jabez comes to mind about asking for a blessing ourselves.  And even in that prayer it is to expand our influence to bless others (my interpretation).

6.  Blessings by Laura Story is a song that I find inspiring.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQan9L3yXjc

I like that the song encourages us to think outside the box of what can be blessings.  It helps reframe hard experiences that I have gone through in life.

Blessings, Tim

Gail Henson
      @GailHenson

Thank you, Tim, for sharing these powerful responses and wisdom gained from (often painful) experiences.  That song was new to me, and it really resonated.  I appreciate your sharing about the value of mentoring, validating, and encouraging.

Rick Underwood
      @RickUnderwood
        <li style=”margin: 0px; padding: 30px 0px; border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-image: initial; vertical-align: baseline; display: table; width: 610px; clear: both; border-color: initial initial rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.11) initial; border-style: initial initial solid initial;”>What’s your chief takeaway from the reading? God’s desire for us to be blessed runs deep.
        <li style=”margin: 0px; padding: 30px 0px; border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-image: initial; vertical-align: baseline; display: table; width: 610px; clear: both; border-color: initial initial rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.11) initial; border-style: initial initial solid initial;”>How does blessing play a part in your work? At the Oates Institute, we often have participants who have been deeply wounded by persons representing the church or others who are in positions of authority and power.  Often, I have experienced persons find creative means to work through that wounding and experience blessing with the collaborative learning community.
        <li style=”margin: 0px; padding: 30px 0px; border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-image: initial; vertical-align: baseline; display: table; width: 610px; clear: both; border-color: initial initial rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.11) initial; border-style: initial initial solid initial;”>Tell about a time when you felt blessed by the actions of another. What did you learn from that?  My wife, Brenda of 32 years were talking with our pastor about our marriage ceremony.  We had both been married previously and divorced.  Each of us had felt like a failure in our first marriage.  Our tendency was to have a very small ceremony with just our immediate families involved.  He challenged us about our feelings of unworthiness and reminded us of the redemptive grace of God.  Further, he challenged us to use our imagination about how we celebrate our new beginning and our love for whoever wanted to attend.  That process turned in to a blessing experience from him but also from our many friends and family and God.

Tim Peters
      @TimPeters

Rick, that is interesting that your blessing from your pastor was a challenge to do something different.  Our lives would not be as rich if we weren’t challenged by others to do more than what we think we can do.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.