All Courses Forums Course Discussion Forums Strategic Chaplaincy Spirituality: The New Elixir in the Care Continuum

2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Joy Freeman 2 years, 8 months ago
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Joy Freeman
      Participant
      @jfreeman

There were a couple of very insightful things I resonated with in this presentation.  First they talked about the importance of listening. I got to thinking about this and this really is a powerful and helpful tool we bring to the table.  As a chaplain I am a trained to listen.  Not listen to respond, but to listen fully and then use the space after I have listened to reflect back.  The way we are trained to listen is different from how most people listen.  It is a skill that I think would allow us to better fully hear all that is being said around the table, the next step would be to then reflect that back in a way that helps the whole team hear the fullness of the thoughts and ideas.

I also connected with what they said about the power of Hope.  Last year our department focused on exploring what hope is and what it means for us to be hope providers.  I got to thinking as a chaplain I am a hope broker – my challenge is how do I help the rest of the interdisciplinary team and organization discover what it meas for us as an organization to be Hope Brokers.  I get to do this a little bit with each nursing orientation I get to speak at about spiritual care.

The last thing that I resonated with was how they brought in other disciplines to help them make the case, learn how to speak the language.  We need to remember we do not have to be lone wolves here.  The lesson for me is to find other colleagues in the system who understand and support what I bring to the table and utilize their knowledge to fill in my knowledge gaps.

Joy

Rose McKeown
      @rmckeown

Thanks Joy for your reflection. I appreciated all of it but especially your description of the listening that we as chaplains have been trained to offer: “Not listen to respond, but to listen fully and then use the space after I have listened to reflect back do.” It’s a skill that we continue to grow in!
      Also appreciated your image of being a Hope Broker and how you call others to be the same. Could this be emotional and spiritual intelligence training?!

Joy Freeman
      Participant
      @jfreeman

Rose,

You hit the nail on the head by wondering if this is emotional and spiritual intelligence coming together.  At least I see it that way.  This is a very good insight as I think about how I as a chaplain engage the teaching of nurses in orientation.  I think I have been doing this intuitively, but an awareness means I can be more intentional.

Joy

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.