Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Michael Porter
      Participant
      @mkporter

Greetings All,

I was intrigued by the Mayo Clinic Family Guide.  Overall I am glad to know that there is more hope for people who have a TBI than in the past to have a productive life.  I got the impression that healing for the brain through “exercises” and relearning is similar to someone who is recovering from a broken bone or a surgery.  The brain, like the body, is capable to relearn what it once knew and/or adapt to what it has lost.

Caring for a person with TBI is a labor of love and commitment and requires patience – but then again this is true for any relationship to last.  The loved one of a person with a TBI needs to be self-confident and strong to be able to deal with other people in society who may be less patient with someone who is relearning and adapting to life as they now have it.  He/She is also going through a process on learning more about him/herself.

I came to a realization that  relating to a person with a TBI is no different than the way one relates with a person without a TBI.  They are as human as anyone else and are to be treated as such, with kindness, courtesy and respect.  There are social norms that are acceptable and when those are crossed, they are to dealt with in the same way that is described in helping a person with a TBI to relearn those behaviors.  Helping people with emotional feelings, depression and human behaviors is as true for people without a TBI as those with it.

I appreciate the challenges presented on page 29.  I believe the key is not to label people.  The human element needs to be kept first.  They are people with a TBI.  We treat them as we would anyone else.

I have not really been aware of the progress that has been made in helping people with a TBI.  I am glad to see that they are not as restricted as they were in the past.  With work and perseverance by all, there is a chance for them to live life rather than be confined to a limited space.  What is shared in the guide is really no different than how people are to be treated in general.  People have a tendency to take life and relationships for granted.  Helping people with a TBI is about relationships and how we live in relationship with one another.  The information in the Guide is how we are to relate with each other.  The discussion on Recreation and Leisure and Use of Alcohol and Drugs, that is true for anybody.

To end this for now, I am glad to see the progress in helping people with a TBI and I to be more compitent in helping them and their families find their way through it.

Mike

Rick Underwood
      @RickUnderwood

Mike,

I agree with your comments after reading the resource. My experience is limited to a long term pastoral relationship with a young woman in my church who had TBI in a off road vehicle accident when she was 14. She just had her 27th birthday. The doctors didn’t hold out much hope for her recovery. However, utilizing most of the resources mentioned, she is living a fairly productive life. There were a number of suggestions that I found helpful and plan to use with her.

My other experience as a player and coach for many years is with concussions from sporting contact. As a high school and college coach, I saw many players get concussed. Fortunately, I always had trainers and physicians around to evaluate, treat and clear them for participation. As a player well over 50 years ago, I sustained at least two concussions. Understanding about concussions was archaic compared to today. I am convinced that I have sustained some long term issues related to those injuries. More later about that.

Rick

Michael Porter
      Participant
      @mkporter

Thanks Rick,

The only experience I have with people with TBI is when they are in the hospital.  I remember one in particular about twenty plus years ago.  A woman was brought into the ER and suffered a TBI from an auto crash.  She was pregnant at the time and close to her due date.  The baby was delivered safely and did well.  About eight years later she was in the hospital with complications due to her condition.  At that time I provided support for her mother who had been taking care of for the last eight years.  She shared with me what they had been through and the progress her daughter had made.  She told me she treated her daughter like a child learning things for the first time.  The love she had for her daughter was seen in her commitment and patience she took to help her daughter regain whatever she could.  Progress, as small as it was, was made.

The information in the Guide reminded me of what this mother naturally did for her daughter.  The daughter eventually died, but what I learned from that experience has helped me with other people with TBI and now is affirmed by the material.

For so long people with TBI seem to have been written off.   When I first learned about TBI was told the brain could not heal and there was very little, if anything, that could be done for people.  They were put in a nursing home and lived out their life there.  Near us there is Rehab Institute of Chicago, which has done some great things for people with TBI.

Mike

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.