8 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Rose McKeown 2 years, 7 months ago
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Michael Porter
      Participant
      @mkporter

I appreciate Rabbi Nadia’s presentation and her study.  She is fortunate to be with an organization that is faith based and is in tune with spiritual care.  She was hired to study this and see how to improve it.  That is great and her findings are helpful and appreciated.  When I share such data with administration, they hear my case, but in the end my request to grow the department is cut from the budget.

I also appreciate her focus on supporting the staff.  I am visible throughout the hospital and I have built a good reputation.  Staff will stop me to talk.  They will refer other staff to me.  I am called to a department when a trauma has effected the people in the department.  After twenty four years, I am still looking for ways to grow the my department and implement what I can without relying on funding.

I had a plus this week.  Our new CEO talked with me about having a prayer at the monthly board meeting and possibility of give a report on a typical day.  Down the road I hope to be able to share ideas at one of the meetings.  At least I have a foot in th edoor.

Mike

Joy Freeman
      Participant
      @jfreeman

Mike,

I hear your frustration and remember similar frustrations in our department early on in my days there.  I’m glad to hear you have a foot in the door.  Your mentioning of your CEO’s request reminds me that in staff care we must also keep in mind those in the C-suite.

Blessings,

Joy

Rick Underwood
      @RickUnderwood

Mike,

It sounds like you have laid a good foundation and are doing the things that “may” eventually lead to more expansion of the spiritual care offering.  I suspect that you have made more progress that it seems to you because of your vision to improve the offerings.

As many have already indicated, building a durable relationship with the leaders is essential. Wayne Oates was a master at doing that.  Many of the friends he made were physicians and administrators.  He would say to us young persons, that we need to make friends with a variety of professionals in our communities and grow up with them.  That was the best advice I ever received in regards to this issue of strategic leadership.  Wayne would dedicate one of his many books to those professionals who he was befriending.  My approach for what it was worth was to socialize with those folks by invited them to social gatherings, jogging, exercising, and often getting reciprocal invitations. We also recruited the “power brokers” like physicians, administrations, pastors, donors, board members, donors, etc. to work with us on special projects. These projects ran the gambit from travel/learning events, non-pharmacological hypertension clinic, advisory committees, educational events, fundraising events, etc.
      Keep up the good work and I suspect you will be able to accomplish more than you anticipated.

Rick

Rose McKeown
        @rmckeown

Thanks Rick for your reflection on how essential building durable relationships with the leaders is essential. Being from a small hospital, that is possible here. Our CEO has an open door policy, we have lunch together and times and she will seek me out for advise on various issues. She very much wants to honor the legacy of the Sisters.

Joy Freeman
        Participant
        @jfreeman

Rick,

This is a helpful reflection on building relationship with leadership.  It reminds me to lean into what I do best as a chaplain and that is create and foster relationships.  My best support like you has come from over the years of consistent relationship building.  It may look like I am just chatting away time, it is so much more than that.

Joy

Rose McKeown
        @rmckeown

Hi Joy! I can’t find the ‘string’ where you ask about the Support Victims Program. I asked one of our leaders today. We did not create it from scratch. We had help from another hospital. They came and trained us and then we created our own version. If you want more information you can contact Lindsey Price at Memorial Medical Center in Springfield, Il. She is the Director of Patient Safety and Accreditation. Phone # is 217-788-0146. Email: [email protected] Hope this helps!

Joy Freeman
        Participant
        @jfreeman

Thank you Rose.

Joy

Rose McKeown
        @rmckeown

You are welcome!

Rose McKeown
      @rmckeown

Thanks Mike for your reflection. Sounds like you are really a supportive presence to your staff there at the hospital. Visibility is so important. You have been there a long time and have built trust and caring. And, you have a ‘foot in the door’ to the board meetings thanks to your new CEO. Sounds like he/she appreciates who you are and values spirituality. This will evolve, I’m sure!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.