All Courses Forums Course Discussion Forums Spiritual Care Research 101 Oates Spiritual Care research 101 / week two

7 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Tim Peters 2 years, 2 months ago
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Rick Underwood
      @RickUnderwood

Greetings,

We are off to a slow start. Please post your reflections on the Ragsdale interview and the Power point in the next couple of days. I will post the week two assignments in a day or two.

Rick

Tim Peters
      @TimPeters

Reposting this here.
      <p style=”margin: 0px 0px 24px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 12px; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 1.7; color: #737373; caret-color: #737373; font-family: Lato;”>I thought the interview with Judy Ragsdale was good.  It makes sense hearing that research can help us evaluate whether our work is effective.  It resonated with me what she said about the main goal of CPE has been the integration of self.  That is a good thing, but of course not the only learning needed for us chaplains.  I liked her suggestion of more training could be given on learning how others use spirituality and religion.  We need both a knowledge of ourselves and others to be competent chaplains.</p>
      <p style=”margin: 0px 0px 24px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 12px; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 1.7; color: #737373; caret-color: #737373; font-family: Lato;”>I have not done a lot of research.  I tried doing some the year I did an oncology chaplain fellowship.  I looked for research done on having similar programs and the benefit of them.  My problem was it was a unique program that I was in.  But the librarian at the hospital where I was helped me find some related articles.  I did end up writing a paper and making a poster for the main project of my fellowship.  That was the last personal research that I have done.</p>
      <p style=”margin: 0px 0px 24px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 12px; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 1.7; color: #737373; caret-color: #737373; font-family: Lato;”>The interview with Judy Ragsdale encouraged me to spend more time looking at research, even if I am not trying to do it myself.  Like the powerpoint said all chaplains should be research literate, some will collaborate with the research being done and some will lead the research projects.  That is not my passion, but it is good for me to have a reminder of the importance of it.</p>

Rick Underwood
      @RickUnderwood

Tim,

Have been able to review the two documents in Week 2 Assignments?  If so, please post your reflections.  Thank you. I know it is a lot to digest.

Rick

Tim Peters
      @TimPeters

Hi Rick,

I read the first the first document with the different research terms.  Some things I was familiar with and other things it helped clarify for me.  For example, correlation is something that I did not know how it worked.  It helps knowing what the range is to better interpret what the meaning of it is.

I am still working on reading the second document.  So far I have seen the importance of research and how it helps to add credibility in our changing healthcare landscape.  It helps chaplains to have a seat at the table of leaders who like to see evidence of how groups are making a difference.  I can see how it takes a lot of work and also some passion to produce some quality research.

I will keep working on reading the second document.  Since I seem to be the only one participating, do you mind if I take some more time to continue reading it?

Thanks, Tim

Rick Underwood
      @RickUnderwood

Sure. I want you to have time to read and reflect. There is a lot to take in. Based on your response to the article, I’ll post one or two shorter readings.

Rick

Tim Peters
      @TimPeters

Thanks Rick!

Tim Peters
      @TimPeters

Hi Rick,

I found the example by Shirley Otis-Green about the Transitions program that she worked with interesting.  It sounds like they put a lot of time and effort into making the program better by identifying some of the gaps that they had.  I was looking for ideas how to better serve families while offering bereavement support.  I like how they used the approach of “Plan-Do-Study-Act.”  This seems much more of an intentional approach than is most often the case in places where I have worked.  A concept that I take away from that chapter is about reducing regret.  I spent time with a family recently where the patient was actively dying and the daughter regretted choosing hospice because she felt like that meant giving up on her dad.  We tried to work with her through that, but she was not in a place to hear it from us or her daughter.  It was a learning experience.

I was interested earlier in the book where it talked about researching into the job satisfaction of chaplains.  It talked about focusing on the rewarding aspects of the work.  Right now at my job some of the chaplains and social workers are exploring joining a union.  I would be interested to find out some more of our groups thoughts.  Its seems getting higher pay is the main motivating factor.  But some research could probably bring out more details and nuance.

Overall I found a lot of the reading about research dry to be honest.  It is not something that I see myself pouring myself into in the near future.  Maybe later on in life I will develop more of an interest.  But the reading has helped me to be more literate when it comes to research.  Reading about evaluating research was helpful for giving ideas on what to be looking for.

Tim

Tim Peters
      @TimPeters

Hi Rick,

I finally finished reading the second document.  What is the next reading?

I found it caught my interest in the chapter that discussed doing research in a palliative care setting or hospice since I work in hospice.  I have had some of those same thoughts of reasons why it would not be the best time to conduct research.  But it is an interesting point that people may feel like it would help contribute to their legacies by contributing to something that is larger than themselves.  I feel like I have more understanding now what it takes to do research and it feels daunting by all the time required.

Tim

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.