5 replies, 4 voices Last updated by [email protected] 2 years, 1 month ago
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Lindsay Spencer
      Keymaster
      @LindsaySpencer

Please introduce yourself.

Hi everyone, I’m not sure if I am technically registered for this course or not. I am unable to see any reading assignments that may be listed. Perhaps I am to get my copy of the referenced paper on my own?

At any rate, my name is Melanie Childers. I am the director of pastoral care at Watauga Medical Center in Boone, NC. I have served at this location for 21 years. In my first career I worked in journalism, but found chaplaincy to be a much better fit for me. An an introvert and an introspective person, I love the gift of being able to talk with people about things that matter, in times that matter.  I work in a small facility and have a number of PRN chaplains who fill in for me and who are on call nights and weekends. But generally from Monday to Friday, it is just me.

When I’m not working, my partner and I enjoy gardening, hiking, home maintenance and repair, and caring for the environment as best we can.

Dan Mefford
      Participant
      @dmefford

Hi, my name is Dan Mefford and I am a staff chaplain at Mosaic Life Care Medical Center in St. Joseph, Missouri. I’ve been here for 29 years.  We have 3 full-time chaplains, a director, and 4 part time chaplains on staff for a 240 census hospital. I specialize in critical care and emergency care. I’m heavily involved in ethics, organ and tissue, and several other projects including our new Foryou program for employee peer support. Looking forward to time together.

Rick Underwood
      @RickUnderwood

Hi Dan and Melanie,

We are off to a bit of a late start and a couple of folks have opted out. Further, I know Dale was having some technical trouble. And Melanie, I don’t’ know why you can’t download the article. I will troubleshoot all of that today.

I plan to participate because of the esteemed participants and leader and because of the topic. I trained and served as a professional pastoral counselor for many years.  During that time, I explored and studied most of the theories mentioned in the article. Journeying with folks for weeks into the depths of their struggles was meaningful and many of the theories and techniques were helpful.  At the beginning of my career, I participated in some 9 units of CPE.  The foundational experience of listening to and working with feelings of folks in short term encounters was invaluable.  Since Dec. I have been serving as a PRN chaplain at one of our local hospitals.  I look forward to hearing from each of you and others that might join us as to how the content of this article has and might benefit you in your work.

Rick

Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place? I don’t see anywhere to access the article, only the one mention of it in the course introduction…

I do notice that my course indicates “0 lessons” rather than the customary 3 or so lessons/assignments…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.