7 replies, 6 voices Last updated by Lee Whitlock 3 years, 2 months ago
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Welcome to the discussion forum for the Spirituality and Mental Health Care course. Please take a moment to introduce yourself!

Remember the course instructor will start the active course participation and discussion on or about the 20th of the month in question (July 2018 for this course). Until then, you are welcome to review the materials, read ahead and the like. But be prepared to go back and consider the materials for your active course assignments when that time comes!

Joy Freeman
      Participant
      @jfreeman

Hi all,

Trying to get a bit of a jump on this.  My name is Joy Freeman and I am an American Baptist Ordained Chaplain.  I am also Board Certified through the Association of Professional Chaplains.  I’ve been in chaplaincy for 17 years and have been at the Hospital where I am employed for 15 years.  I serve as primary chaplain to Maternity as well as covering general referrals and critical care multi-disciplinary rounds.  We are a small staff so we all do a little bit of it all.  In the last year I have come to be the go to chaplain for our focus on staff care and I bring a lot of mindfulness techniques and perspectives to my care.

Outside of work I’m a mom to a very busy almost 11 year old, wife of 16 years to an amazingly supportive and understanding husband as well as very active in my church and our church’s creative outreach partnership with a not-for-profit tea house.  I wear many hats.  When I’m not helping my kiddo train for her black belt testing in tae kwon do, I’m doing my own training as a Tae Kwon Do Black belt.  I also teach a form of Tai Chi called Taijifit.  I love to read fantasy and mystery novels and play role playing games as well as craft and sew.

I’m taking this class because I have noticed a distinct increase in the amount of patients we are seeing at the hospital who are in a mental health crisis.  I feel incredibly lacking in my skills and broad understanding of mental health issues in general and mental health chaplaincy more specifically.  I am hoping that this class will help me gain a better understanding of how mental health and spirituality fit together, particularly as it relates to supporting those who are in clear crisis as that is the population I am seeing more and more in the general hospital setting.

Looking forward to learning with you all.

Blessings,

Joy

Rick Underwood
      @RickUnderwood

Welcome, Joy,

It is great to have you back in our virtual collaborative learning classroom. You are a multi-talented person.  As a long time professional pastoral counselor and supervisor, I found Swinton’s book extremely helpful and I am confident that you will as well. Please read and reflect and we will start posting our thoughts, questions, comments soon.

Rick

Lee Whitlock
      @lwhitlock

Hello, Everyone. I am Lee Whitlock. I am retired from everything except life, and I’m staying fully engaged there. I retired from several “titles.” I have been Pastor, Consultant, College Teacher, and CEO of non-Profit for Addicted Persons. I graduated from Georgia State University with a B.A. in Math and English and from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (1974) with an M.Div. and a major in Biblical Studies. Since retiring, I have volunteered for various organizations around Louisville: SCORE (consultants in business), Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts, Beacon House (for addicted persons), Oncology Department at Baptist Health, etc.

I have had an interest in spirituality as it relates to the whole person. Years ago, Dr. Carl Jung wrote to Bill Wilson, one of the co-founders of Alcoholics Anonymous:
      <p style=”text-align: left;”><span style=”font-family: Verdana;”>You see, Alcohol in Latin is “spiritus” and you use the same word for the highest religious experience as well as for the most depraving poison. The helpful formula therefore is: spiritus contra spiritum.</span></p>
      As I worked with men addicted to drugs or alcohol, I was influenced by Jung who saw no way out of addiction without a spiritual experience. My theology and psychology became convinced that a profound spiritual experience was necessary in all walks of life. I am interested in hearing from others how they see spirituality at work in the mental health field. as the author of our text says: “…Man [sic] does not have a body, he is a body. He is flesh-animated-by-soul….” Each of us has a soul (spirit) acknowledged or not. Allow me one other quote. Next to the entrance into my house, I have a Latin copy of the quote Jung had on his desk: “Bidden or unbidden, God is present.” I am interested in how the belief or unbeliev in Spirit affects our mental health.

Hi all,

Sorry to be late in the enroll–I’m still getting used to the new format.  I’ve purchased the book and will get busy reading.

I’ll touch base as I can –but will be on vacation the next 10 days or so.

Sorry—Kathy Ozenberger here from Texas.

I’m chaplain at University of Texas Medical Branch at our 2 smaller campus locations.  I’ve been with the university for 22 years.

I’m married with an upcoming college student.  Rick, you may remember last  year my husband had a cardiac event at the Boy Scout Jamboree.  He is doing well and part of our vacation is to visit the hospitals that treated him and see the great staff who cared for him.  I think that it will be good for both of us.

Looking forward to reading.  Get back as soon as I can.

Kathy

Rick Underwood
      @RickUnderwood

Welcome Kathy and Lee,

Joy and I have begun the discussion of the Introduction to the book and Chapters 1 and 2.  Please go to her thread in the Forum for reading and replying and posting your thoughts, questions, quotes, experiences, etc. We ill use that as our place to interact until next Tues.

I don’t think anybody here needs introductory words from me.  However, life is always moving so I will share an update or two.  After a long pastoral counseling career, I am currently teaching parttime in the Organizational Leadership graduate program at the local university, pastoring a rural church, and directing the Oates Institute.

I just returned from a rare two-week vacation through southern and northern California.  Three of those days, I attended the joint APC and NACC meeting in Anaheim. I was surprised to see very little offered on our topic.  Yet, this topic is one of the most requested topics here at Oates.

Please share your introductions here. Typically, we post articles on the site and that is why you are instructed to check when you have completed an assignment. Since we are discussion Swinton’s book, just scroll to the bottom of that page and you can click on Forums.  Once again, share your introduction on Joy’s thread.  Then, when you are ready click on her Forum for Introduction, Chapters 1 and 2 to post your responses and your thoughts about the readings.

Rick

Rick

Cindy Wallace
      @CindyWallace

Hi everyone,

Sorry I am late to the game, but I have just finished chapters 1 and 2.  I will continue to work through and try to catch up!  My name is Cindy Wallace and I am Chaplain Manager at Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health Hospital in Hoffman Estates, IL. I have worked here for 3 1/2 years, and before that was a hospice chaplain for 6 years and did a year residency with Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta in the cancer and blood disorder clinic.  I am an ordained minister, endorsed through Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, and board certified with APC.  Prior to chaplaincy I worked as an elementary school teacher and part-and eventually full-time minister to multiple churches from 1989-present.  I currently have a part-time position as Choir Director at First Congregational Huntley, IL.

My interest in this course is obvious with my current position in behavioral health, but what I realize more and more is that I have been working with patients/parishioners/families with mental health issues all my career.  When I moved into the mental health field, I was introduced quickly to John Swinton and became an instant fan!

Lee Whitlock
      @lwhitlock

Hello Everyone,

I’m sorry I’m late to the party. I’m having some health issues, and last week was “doctor week.” I had appointments and/or treatment every day but one.

I’m looking forward to the Caring Presence Program especially as I seek ways to minister to others in my church, Crescent Hill Baptist Church in Louisville, KY. We have a diverse congregation with a large elderly population. Amazingly, over 50% of the congregation have had relationships with the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary prior to its “change in direction” in the 90s. Either they have attended classes, graduated, and/or are children of graduates. We even have a smattering of missionary families in our church.

I graduated from SBTS in 1974 with an M.Div. in Theology and Biblical Studies. I also had a healthy dose of Pastoral Care classes. I practiced ministry for 10 years only to discover that being a pastor was not how I wanted to continue my ministry. I went back to SBTS in the 80s to earn a Ph.D. and did about 1.5 years work. In the meantime, finances and a change in marital status led me to a business career. I actually found that my Seminary training was a plus. I served as an Adult Education Teacher for five years, as Regional Training Director for American Greetings, as a Senior Consultant for Zenger-Miller and Holden International, as an English Professor for a 2-year college, and finally as CEO for Beacon House, a recovery house for men with alcohol and/or drug addictions. During my consulting years, I traveled to 35 countries and 43 US states. After my third retirement, I did volunteer work for various organizations (Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts, SCORE, Jefferson County Board of Education, etc.).

Most important in my life is being the father of two daughters (41, 39). Most of my volunteer work now is with CHBC including being a SS teacher using the Lectionary series. I am currently on hiatus from CHBC as I deal with Multiple Myeloma (a form of cancer).

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Lee Whitlock

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.