7 replies, 6 voices Last updated by Laura Broadwater 1 year, 5 months ago
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Joy Freeman
      Participant
      @jfreeman

My name is Joy Freeman and I am an ordained American Baptist board certified chaplain at a community not for profit hospital in the Kansas City Area.  I serve as the primary daytime chaplain covering all basic in patient needs where ever I am needed. I have been doing chaplaincy for 20 years now and am starting my 18th year at my current place of employment.

When not at work I am mom to a 12 almost 13 year old who just finished her last year of elementary school and will be making the transition to middle school.  I’m usually serving as her transportation to multiple activities but like so many others, not right now and we are all enjoying a less busy pace at home.  I have been married to my husband for 19 years. Crafting, reading, playing Dungeons and Dragons, teaching Taijifit(a type of Tai Chi) and training to eventually test for my second degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do fill my personal time.

I became aware of trauma informed  care about a year ago and ever since I have wanted to learn more about it and how to apply it to my chaplaincy work.  I hope to gain a better understanding of the principles of utilizing this lens of care and how to weave it into my own assessments and skill set.

Looking forward to the conversation.

Joy

Angel
      Participant
      @Angel

Joy,

You mentioned an article in one of your response.  Could you please share with me where you found the article?

Thank you,

Angel

Joy Freeman
      Participant
      @jfreeman

Angel, it is the link right above the ted talk video. Joy

Jennifer Gingerich
      @JenniferGingerich

Hi all,

My name is Jennifer Gingerich, and I’m chaplain at a retirement community in Louisville, KY, serving the two independent living buildings.  I’m Presbyterian (USA) and have been a chaplain primarily in senior care for about 15 years.  My husband and I have two 8-year-old girls who are excited for school (NTI, or non-traditional instruction) to end next week.  I’m grateful that he has been able to work from home most of the time as we juggle work and parenting in these different circumstances.

When I first read about an article about adverse childhood experiences, a light when on as I immediately drew a correlation to a couple patients.  A year or two ago I attended a clergy seminar on trauma and ACEs, and again I saw how important this work is to understanding the stories and struggles of folks that we encounter.  I look forward to learning more with you all!

Jennifer

ehamm
      @ehamm

I am Betsy Hamm and I am a Staff Chaplain at MetroHealth in Cleveland, Ohio. Metro is a level 1 trauma hospital and I am taking this class because I am always looking for learning opportunities that will help me improve care to patients and staff.

I am endorsed for ministry by the Apostolic Catholic Orthodox Church, an independent catholic church in the US which traces its apostolic succession from the Netherlands. I was raised Roman Catholic but like that my church is open and inclusive of all.

Looking forward to learning about TIC and about your experiences.

Betsy

Rick Underwood
      @RickUnderwood

Welcome,

Jennifer, Joy, Angel, and Betsy,
      Thanks to each of you for getting us started. It is always pleasing and exciting to meet new spiritual caregivers from a variety of setting in different places around our country. I especially enjoy the collaborative learning experiences. We have chosen two resources for this week. The article is written by a nurse for nurses but it is a very good overview that relates to spiritual caregivers. The second is a video introduction to TIC.

Gene K. will be joining us soon as a co-facilitator. Welcome Gene as he introduces himself.

Remember to check the box in the lower left corner to get email notices when participants post.

As a pastoral psychotherapist and licensed marriage and family therapist for 30 years, much of what has become known as TIC was taught in a variety of other ways. Recently, I took part in a 5 day train the trainer workshop conducted by the Center for Trauma Resilient Communities, which introduced me to the Trauma Informed Care approach.

As you all know, Oates is conducting a two week online symposium on this topic focusing on the spiritual care aspects. So I have been doing a great deal of reading in Trauma Informed Spiritual Care. We will touch on that but hope you will plan to join us for that experience in June.

Rick @ Oates

Rick Underwood
      @RickUnderwood

Welcome,

Jennifer, Joy, Angel, and Betsy,
      Thanks to each of you for getting us started. It is always pleasing and exciting to meet new spiritual caregivers from a variety of setting in different places around our country. I especially enjoy the collaborative learning experiences. We have chosen two resources for this week. The article is written by a nurse for nurses but it is a very good overview that relates to spiritual caregivers. The second is a video introduction to TIC.

Gene K. will be joining us soon as a co-facilitator. Welcome Gene as he introduces himself.

Remember to check the box in the lower left corner to get email notices when participants post.

As a pastoral psychotherapist and licensed marriage and family therapist for 30 years, much of what has become known as TIC was taught in a variety of other ways. Recently, I took part in a 5 day train the trainer workshop conducted by the Center for Trauma Resilient Communities, which introduced me to the Trauma Informed Care approach.

As you all know, Oates is conducting a two week online symposium on this topic focusing on the spiritual care aspects. So I have been doing a great deal of reading in Trauma Informed Spiritual Care. We will touch on that but hope you will plan to join us for that experience in June.

Rick @ Oates

Laura Broadwater
      Participant
      @Laura

I am Laura Broadwater, BBC in Louisville KY.  I work in a transplant hospital but also in rehab with spinal cord patients. I have three children home.  My boys came home from college March 6 and are still here.  My daughter virtually graduates from high school this week.  I previously worked in a level 1 trauma hospital which is partnered with the hospital where I currently work.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.