Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Michael Porter
      Participant
      @mkporter

Greetings All,

My name is Mike.  I am ordained in the Lutheran Church and served in the church for nine years before becoming a hospital Chaplain.  I am board certified with APC and have served as the Director/Chaplain for Porter Health Care System in Valparaiso, Indiana for almost twenty-five years.  I am married for thirty-eight years with two grown children and two grandchildren.

White privilege became a topic of discussion between my wife and me within the last year or two.  The topic has open new insights into myself and how I deal with people.  I am looking forward to exploring this more and growing in my sensitivity of how this plays out in my interactions with people.  I have read the paper for this week and hope to post on it soon.

Mike

Hi everyone,

I will join the introductions. My name is Melanie. I have been a hospital chaplain for 23 years, and have been board certified for 18 years. I serve a small semi-rural health system in the mountains of North Carolina. Because of our size, I wear many hats. In addition to chaplain and director of spiritual care, I am the chair of the ethics committee, coordinator of our palliative care program, and our system’s diversity trainer. Yet sometimes I feel weird as the diversity trainer, as there is so much more that I need to learn myself in terms of diversity. So I am excited to join this seminar and learn from and with you all.

When not working, I enjoy gardening, hiking, and spending time in the outdoors with my partner of 10 years, our dog and our cat. I am also studying Spanish in preparation for an upcoming volunteer vacation to Costa Rica.

HArsenault
      Participant
      @HArsenault

My name is Hilda Arsenault and I am the Director of the Spiritual Life Program at a residential facility for troubled youth , male and female, ages 8 – 18. Today is my 19th year anniversary for serving this population. WE have youth from different states, socio-economic groups, races and religious backgrounds. A majority of our youth have suffered abuse, neglect, and abandonment, or have parents suffering from a mental health disease. These youth are with us for a period of six months to several years, depending on their ability to reunite with family, a foster family or being adopted. Although I am not officially a chaplain, my role is similar in that I am the spiritual care overseer. I have an assistant and we work with a team of about 50 volunteers.

I have a Master of Art degree in Missiology and Intercultural Studies, with a minor in Christian education from Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois. I am married and have 3 adult children, 2 adult stepchildren and 17 grandchildren.

Jose Albovias
      @JoseAlbovias

Great intros.  I’m Jose Albovias.  I apologize for the late entry but there was a computer somewhere that prevented me from getting into my own course!  It just got fixed 2 hours ago.  As a chaplain of 20 years and being board certified, I have an MDiv in Biblical studies, a ThM in world religions, and a psychiatric background with both children and adults.  I was also a psychiatric case manager for a while.  My interests are world religions, theoretical physics and cosmology, Biblical studies, anthropology, paleontology, astrobiology, astronomy, martial arts, and I am a silversmith who makes jewelry and restores antique bladed weaponry.

I am so glad you folks are here.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.