brandeaton
Participant
@brandeaton

After reading Rick’s article and carefully reviewing Dr. Middleton’s Power Point presentation, I sense some impact on my chaplaincy practice in both areas.  I look back at my mother’s death almost four years ago following a long period of illness and decline from arterial disease and CHF.  When she died, I couldn’t shed a tear.  There were some very rugged family dynamics afterward that we have repaired but not healed.  Her death, I think, somehow capped a number of resident deaths at Bethany Village in which I provided some intense end-of-life pastoral care and in which I had a level of personal investment.  I recognize that I’m dragging in some level of compassion fatigue.  However, I also have had to work with an organizational culture that has been going through some profound shifts during the same period.  Those have caused some stress and personal pain at times, and so a lot of what I feel is burnout as Rick describes it: physical exhaustion; poor productivity; lack of interest; short attention span.  I have engaged many of the strategies Rick mentions in his article:  identify and build on strengths & learn to manage your weakness by simplifying, eliminating, and delegating; evaluating and modifying negative self-talk; learning to relax and recreate.  Even the latest changes in my work due to the Covid-19 restrictions have provided a change in routine that has helped renew some of my energy.  I’m not quite sure about “recognize your stress tolerance.”  I know I “hit the wall” sometimes when my body starts to complain in some pretty tell-tale ways, but pulling up short of hitting the wall feels illusive.  I struggle to know where resiliency stops and damage starts.