brandeaton
Participant
@brandeaton

Hello Rick,

My community has not had an active case of Covid-19.  We have a sister community in the network that has lost fifteen skilled nursing residents and has two associates critically ill.  Our experience here has featured the struggle of helping residents remain emotionally well while not being able to go out, socialize, or receive visits from family.  The only exceptions have been for end-of-life.  I have had some work providing support to family members who cannot have the funeral for their loved one they would desire, or are delaying for a hoped-for later date.  The strain among associates has been on ancillary staff, who are working in additional support roles.  For instance, I give time at our screening stations each week as we health screen every associate at shift entrance and exit; deliver meals to residential cottages and apartments from Dining since our dining room is closed; and provide meal assistance in our skilled nursing neighborhoods for residents who cannot feed themselves.   This last duty is necessary because skilled residents receive every meal in their suite, and many cannot self-feed.  I have developed two different 30-minute Bible study programs televised live each week on our closed-circuit station, and also do a televised Sunday vespers at 7:00 pm.  Our Residents’ Life staff, Recreational Activities, and Wellness associates are doing similar support work and developing creative engagements for residents who are restricted to their cottages and apartments.  Nursing associates have not been terribly impacted–but when we do experience Covid-19 inside the community, that will make their work situations far more anxious and difficult.