Peter Wong
@pwongs

Wally, thanks for bringing in the story of Pooh and Piglet which resonates well in one of my cases.

I had a client  on an emergency case. As she entered the counseling room, I greeted her and invited her to take a seat. She sat down but there was no verbal response. So I said whether she could hear me and told her that if she was the person who called, I was to be her counselor, ready to lend a listening ear. No response either… She put her head down (Meanwhile, she was in tears).

10 minutes had passed. I said, “Speak to me whenever you’re ready, I’ll be here for you.”  Then silence again. (By then, she had used up more than a dozen tissues soaked with tears).

It was about half an hour later when she looked at me and said, “Thank you for waiting.” (I was willing to “waste time” with her, just sitting there “waiting” for her to speak, without doing anything else but praying quietly for this client). Then, we started to converse for more than half an hour till the session ended.

I was just like the Piglet at the beginning  of the counseling session, willing to just be present with Pooh…