Paul C. Edwards
Participant
@pedwards

Another way I cope with diminishing energy is to plan PTO, not to get busy on projects or on going and doing, but to rest.

Ironically, I had planned some PTO for last week (I took one day off, early in the week) and have the latter part of this week planned off) prior to this happening. (I tend to plan my time off way in advance). It was approved and, as of now, I have no reason to believe the approval will be rescinded (which is always possible in times of crisis).

I am having mixed feelings about this. On the one hand – I need to get away! On the other hand, I feel like I need to be with my colleagues. My head tells me it is okay to take some time off to recharge. My heart tells me I should be here. Therein lies the dilemma.

As I’ve grown older (and perhaps more worn out), I have been more prone to plan time-off than to wait until I’m nudged. Our current PTO policies actually force us to take time, as they have drastically reduced the allowable accruals, and once you have achieved the set maximum, you will not accrue any more until they are whittled down. (I am at my max and have been for weeks, so…..I’m using them!)

Prayerfully, I’ll be recharged enough to get back in and provide the kind of support our staff needs. Our patient population has dwindled dramatically and our visitors are just about non-existent.

Looking forward to the next lesson and discussions as to how we can help our respective healthcare colleagues in this time of crisis.