Laura Broadwater
Participant
@Laura

Resilience:  There is something deep in the human spirit that struggles to survive, that gives meaning to life, that finds its way out of the darkest night of the soul.  That space is where resiliency dwells.  I call that space hope.  It is the foundation on which support, family, the future, the present, all of life rests.  Variables of culture, family, roles, rules and patterns of behavior affect the speed of resiliency.  I work with a man from another culture, a collective culture.  His speed of resiliency is incredible.  I factor in the collective culture instead of the isolationism of “pick yourself up by your bootstraps,” autonomous culture.  It is challenging to find that space in some people.  A man was hospitalized for months.  He struggled with deep, dark depression.  Who would not?  He had no visitors, no family contacts.  The only people he encountered were medical people.  He was not religious.  He had been a computer programmer.  When I was paged to see this man, we worked a long time to find a sense of hope, a space of light, a place to hold on to that was safe.  Pealing away the layers of years, he found solace in a child’s song, “Jesus Loves me.”  Knowing that someone loved him for no reason, created a small spark of light which could be fanned to create hope.  He struggled to find passion.  Resiliency seems to have varied time frames, variables of environment, culture, etc.

I watched the Ted Talk, she found her space of resiliency.  Her heart was so tender.  I see that same shock value in endocarditis patients, in spinal cord patients.  Life events do not have filters of age, race, religion, ethnicity.  Somehow in all that we encounter in life, we have to find that spot; that place of resiliency that gives us hope allowing us to get out of bed in the morning and move on from moment to moment living each moment in the fullest.