Tommy Tredway
Keymaster
@TommyTredway

I started listening to and reading the book this weekend.  I often listen to audiobooks in the car and then switch to actual books when at home, so it’s a little back and forth for me.

I’m really enjoying it so far.  Both the three P’s and the idea that people don’t ask because they don’t know what to say really hit home for me.  I’m almost 40, but I lost my step-father to suicide when I was 17 years old.  I remember having a lot of friends and family around, but it also struck me as odd that some of them never talked about it, never asked about it, etc.

As an adult, I’ve often found myself in situations where I was the person who didn’t know what to say. Even though I’ve had a long professional career in healthcare, there are times when it just feels like no words adequately fit the situation, or I’m being overly cautious to not say something that would be upsetting.  I think it’s great to remember that the person grieving is ALREADY upset and rightfully so. Simply acknowledging “the suck” can be better than not saying anything at all.