David
Participant
@Chaplain Brinker

llawhon wrote: When I first read those 7 items it occurred to me that none of them were specifically spiritually oriented and all seem indicate personal lifestyle choices. I feel that because she did not present a specific spiritual component and chose, instead, to present the spiritual component of each of the 7 factors that she is getting at the reality of our work. In LTC chaplaincy we have the opportunity to become somewhat integrated into peoples lives and walk with them or help guide them in the process of integrating the spiritual component into living the 7 factors.

I understand what you are saying and your response to this article. My basic assumption is that everyone is spiritual in some way. I look at spirituality as a source beyond the person which provides meaning, hope, and purpose helping them to cope with new challenges in life. Creativity, values, lifestyle may also be expressions of spirituality. For people who identify as religious God, scripture, church may fulfill some of these spiritual roles. But I have found that even those who self-identify as religious or part of a denomination may,from time to time, anchor their spiritual meaning and purpose in something other than God. Functionally, some religious persons look to family roles and relationship to find basic meaning and identity in life. I think this is why ageing is so existentially difficult. I agree the potential in ageing is to discover the adventure of grace in this new phase. But this is truly hard work. Many are not equipped to do the work alone–to find the adventure or to discover a new source of meaning, hope or purpose. I think I enjoy the work of a chaplain because from time to time I have the privilege to walk beside someone who is engaged in this and we find the adventure together.