Jennifer Gingerich
@JenniferGingerich

Also responding to David’s observation and question about doing assessments, I sometimes do a less-formal analysis when I look back on a conversation with a resident to record information on a spiritual history/assessment that I keep for my own use (and that would provide some background to a chaplain that might follow me at some point).  I adapted someone else’s form to include a couple elements of the SDAT domains as a way of making sure I identified some of these concerns.  Ideally, I go back and update this form once in a while when there is significant new information that I have gleaned.  We are non-medical, so I do not have a place to chart a history or an assessment.

I agree that for pastoral care purposes, our work is more fluid and less quantifiable.  I wonder if the numerical values assigned to levels of spiritual distress might be more helpful in interdisciplinary work, probably in a more acute setting.  Do any of you have experience on a palliative or hospice team in which the chaplain’s assessments are made available to other team members?  That subset of healthcare seems to be the most progressive (is that the word?) in including the spiritual component equally with other disciplines.