David
Participant
@Chaplain Brinker

Spiritual Needs Model, Modon article: A Response
This article gave me a glimpse into the working of a team of professionals creating an assessment tool for use in a hospital setting for geriatric patents. Initial thoughts brought me to wondering what it would be like to work with colleagues on a similar project? What would the challenges rewards be, etc.?

Although I can see the expansive meanings, used to define the scope of “spirituality in elderly hospitalized persons” I am wondering if something if left out? I wondered by only beauty was mentioned as an aesthetic value. Is it possible for truth to have the same function for a person. In some cultures, I believe connectedness, creativity, harmony, or respect for elders holds a similar place for individuals.

Spiritual Needs Model Chart: A Response
There is a logic to the parallel comparison between spiritual needs and distress. As I haven’t seen many SDAT I am wondering if they all do this? The suggestion focus questions found in each category of the patient interview were helpful to me. My own sense of inadequacy is feeling I don’t know the questions which can take a conversation or an assessment in a direction of further self-disclosure. I have a few that I find myself falling back on but I appreciate having more to guide me and place in my tool box for use as needed. Admittedly, I have never conducted extensive assessments for spiritual distress. In this light, I haven’t analyzed interviews as suggested in the model. Nor have I quantified unmet needs numerically. Is this being done by colleagues in the forum

David Brinker