llawhon
@llawhon

In reading the paper on assessing spiritual well-being I have to admit it started slowly but did get some better for me as I read on.  I agree with the need for some kind of common language across the various disciplines in health care.  I appreciate the work that many are doing to help develop tools and resources to help with the need for better cross communication.   In this paper I appreciate the reviews of just what spirituality means.  As noted in the paper our field has changed, or is changing, from more religious based work to the more broadly based emphasis on spirituality.  I find it important for me to keep in focus that I am a Christian who is a chaplain and not so much a chaplain who is a Christian.  Perhaps subtle in some ways this distinction is still important to me.  What I have to be careful of is to not let this focus cause me to put my beliefs as a Christian ahead of the views, needs, and concerns of the resident.  One of the tools reviewed here which may be helpful to me particularly with screening is the FACT/Four Facts material.  I like that it is brief yet inclusive enough to gather helpful insight that can be built on.  Now the FACITsp material is brand new to me.  I like that it covers a bit broad scope of things and agree with the paper that even though it is set up for chronic illness situations it could adapted otherwise and because it covers 7 days it would a good tool to come back too in a about a week after an initial screening.  As usual, there is more learning to do when given a new tool to use but I like the idea that in a LTC setting where we do have more chances to build over a period of time its good to the various tools which can be used to do the building.