Mary M. Wrye
@mmwrye

I appreciate Bert’s writing this book. I am grateful for his insight on the whole Chick-Fil-A discussion. My brother and sister-in-law go through the drive-up at Chick-Fil-A regularly and they take their Great Dane, Ralph, with them each time. Ralph has become quite the celebrity, to the point they featured a picture of Ralph in the back window of their car and the Chick-Fil-A cow. I thought it was a cute picture so I forwarded it to some friends… two of whom are gay, one is straight but has been an activist all her life. The response I got was “Love the dog. Love the cow. Hate Chick-Fil-A”. And to be honest I haven’t been to a Chick-Fil-A in YEARS because of them… although I really do like their chicken. So I like the idea of, on occasion, eating there (guilt free) and then sending a donation to a LGTBQ supportive organization in their honor.

I know the struggle of hearing “love the sinner, hate the sin”. I have always HATED that response. It certainly puts us “sin haters” on a level above doesn’t it. And Bert is spot on when he talked about the judgment that we use is the judgment that will be used with us. I used to say of people I struggled hard with…”I want to stand behind him/her in the line to the Judgment Throne to hear what God has to say about that!” Until I realized that there would be someone standing behind ME in that line listening to what God had to say about ME. So all I know is that my credentials are BCC not GOD – so I’ll leave that to the God who knows more about it than I do and whose love is so much bigger.

Mary