Rick Underwood
@RickUnderwood

Trish, You beat me to it. I had been wondering along the same lines.  Melanie, your explanation was very helpful.  I ran across a presentation that was done for the NACC by Rev. Claire Bohman and Emiliano Lemus, MD who are with the Trans Spiritual Care Initiative. I will share some for what it is worth.  This information is about persons who identify as transgender.

About 0.6% of the US adult population or 1.4 million people identify as transgender. 12% of millennials ages 18 -34 identify as transgender or gender nonconforming.

4 times as likely to have an annual household income of less than $10,000; 4 times more HIV than the national average; 41% of transgender adults report having previously attempted suicide compared to 1.6% of the general population; discrimination is pervasive, especially people of color

Negative Experiences in health care – 50% of trans patients had to educate their providers about transgender care; 33% delayed preventative health care due to discrimination by healthcare providers and 50% due to the inability to afford it; 28% experienced verbal or physical harassment in a medical setting; 19% were outright denied medical care by a provider due to transgender status

Spiritual care for trans patients – get the pronouns right; don’t make assumptions about the faith and the patient or family member’s relationship to their faith community; appropriate touch (with permission); don’t assume that gender is the most salient issue in a trans person’s life; don’t expect the patient to educate you about their medical history or life choices; connect with the patient and meet them where they are;   don’t assume that a trans person sees themselves as male or female identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual or a part of the LGBTQ community

Chaplain as an advocate in the organizational – EHR procedures to document patients chosen name and gender; trans-inclusive signage in patient areas; hire transgender people; gender-neutral restrooms; create an organizational culture supporting chosen names and pronouns, pronoun pins, pronouns in staff email signatures

What makes a good apology? Don’t say…I’m sorry I couldn’t tell… Do say… I’m sorry I called you by the wrong name. I didn’t mean to disrespect you…

Others feel free to correct anything here that doesn’t seem appropriate

Rick