All Courses Forums Course Discussion Forums Spiritual Care of LGBTQ Persons Starting the Conversation: LGBTQ spiritual needs Reply To: Starting the Conversation: LGBTQ spiritual needs

Mary M. Wrye
@mmwrye

Melanie,
I need you to help me understand better how I might honor the specific differences, needs and identities. As a Chaplain to a variety of folks – I am continually learning how to best care for them when they are quite vulnerable. Would you help me understand what it means to you to not be treated as “the same”, and to not be dismissive of the important part of you that makes you you. I live in a small rural part of Western Kentucky. While we passed a Fairness Ordinance – it was a big deal. I honestly want to understand better… but I will never know what it is to live as a LGTBQ person. I will never know what it is to live as a black man, or a person of great wealth, or an able-bodied person, or a mother who has birthed children. But I do want to be able to be compassionate, caring, and kind when I encounter folks who are other than me.

Thanks,
Mary