All Courses Forums Course Discussion Forums Spiritual Care of LGBTQ Persons Starting the Conversation: LGBTQ spiritual needs Reply To: Starting the Conversation: LGBTQ spiritual needs

Joy Freeman
Participant
@jfreeman

Melani,

Thank you for these insights, particularly the listening for their language.  It seems to me that as chaplains we can be helpful advocates in using their language in how couples refer to themselves when communicating with the rest of the care team.  It would seem to me that by using their language with the care team helps the care team also know what language to use as well and thus we together create a place of feeling safe – I would hope.

Your reflections around marriage, the word wife, sex and so much more opened my eyes to the fact that it gets internally very complicated sometimes, particularly I think as we still live within the heritage of puritan and victorian ideals relating to these topics. It’s a legacy I wish we were not still trying to undo in many ways. And yes religion seems to be the last place to move towards inclusivity.

Some of my return musings…

Time to call it a night.

Joy