Lori Casey BSN MDiv., BCC-PCHAC
Participant
@lcasey

Hi All,

I am sorry for the tardy replies.  I am a married, mother of two adult children, ordained United Methodist minister.  I was out of town last week at our UM Annual Conference last week. Compounding that, our daughter is getting married in another state June 29th.  I really want to take this Oates course on palliative care.  Until recently I was the Palliative Care (PC) chaplain at Baptist Health Lexington. I sadly had to leave but for a good reason- my husband has to retire at 65 per FAA rules and I am traveling with him whenever I can before he retires. I miss my patients very much. I am going to answer many of these questions as the palliative chaplain. The team consists of a dedicated PC physician, social worker, several nurse practitioners, RNs and our director is an RN.  We pursued and obtained Joint Commission certification in PC for the hospital.  A part of my requirements when I was hired to be the palliative care chaplain was to pursue specialty certification for palliative care and hospice and I did.

I’ve  read the NCP for quality palliative care report before and each time I glean something different.  I love the diversity of all who participated, the very inclusive definition of spirituality, and the latitude in how the team and practice of palliative care is to be offered. Trish I can only imagine how hard it would be for 2 chaplains to cover the entire hospital as well as palliative care practice and patient needs. It took a while for the doctors in the hospital to get on board with palliative care, but when they learned how helpful palliative care is in the face of uncontrolled symptoms and eventually dying (if no hospice referral made) the practice really grew. I will post more later tonight about the first week and I will catch up to week two.