Thank you Dianna for sharing your experiences with 9/11.  Our office found 2 pages of prayers for peace and shared with those who came to our chapel.  We also remembered the persons who died that day.  When we posted the names in our chapel and a book for persons to write–we found that a child of someone who died on 9/11 was on our campus going to school.  We were all profoundly moved by that fact.  For several years, I prayed for that young person as they coped with their loss.

We have a wonderful anesthesia faculty on our campus who is Muslim–who  made connections with our Pastoral Care office in some way –many, many years ago.  Over recent years he and I would compare the progress of our Eagle Scout candidates–and he came for our son’s Eagle Court of Honor.   While the news and others on social media rant –I must look at the Muslim faith through the lens of Dr. Abouleish.  He is caring and faithful.

Lori–I appreciated your highlighting this… <span style=”color: #737373; font-family: Lato; font-size: 12px;”>BBT’s stories about relating her faith either using a “language of contempt” or to refrain from a language of “triumphalism” took me by surprise.  I never even thought of how some hymns or scripture must sound to people of other faith traditions. And yet, again, my upbringing in the church was to show through triumphant bible verses, hymns, etc… that  Christian faith is the belief system that pleases God and is rewarded.</span>

I too had to stop and think and listen more closely in yesterday’s worship and prayers about this language.   It was surprising–but then to think how would someone unchurched hear these words.

How does my faith affect how I live–the word priorities seems to come to my mind–I choose to give money to support our church, I choose to volunteer my time to help a faith based organization, I choose to make every effort to put people first over tasks, I choose to be honorable in my work–as Mary mentioned.

Thank you thank you all for your comments and diligence!