Mary M. Wrye
@mmwrye

Lori, I am right there with you. I too have had patients say they have been taught not to question God. My response is always that God is big enough to handle our questions. I also believe God is big enough to handle my anger, my grief, my wonder, my ponderings, my joy, my gratitude… all of me.

Lee, I haven’t thought about that song in YEARS. Thank you for resurrecting it for me, although it will probably be a music worm in my head for the rest of the day!

Chapter 4 was thick with ponderables. Stendahl’s three rules of religious understanding… #1 – When trying to understand another religion, you should ask the adherents of that religion and not its enemies. #2 – Don’t compare your best to their worst. #3 – Leave room for holy envy. Yep! And the story of the Rabia of Basra – the 8th century Sufi mystic… “but if I worship You for Your Own sake, grudge me not Your everlasting Beauty”. I am far too guilty of going quickly to the rewards of heaven (don’t go to the fires of hell), but just living as Jesus taught because it’s the right thing to do rather than for the recognition or rewards. I had a patient one time line out all the things she had done for Jesus and he was “repaying her by making her sick”.

I had to smile at the Robert Farrar Capon quote (pg 77) “human beings who wish to understand the ways of God are like oysters lying at the bottom of a tide pool, wishing to understand the ways of a prima ballerina”. And Richard Rohr (pg 78) “We are all of us pointing toward the same moon, and yet we persist in arguing about who has be best finger”. Both of these may end up in a sermon somewhere.