Lori Casey BSN MDiv., BCC-PCHAC
Participant
@lcasey

In the chapter, “Wave Not Ocean,”  I appreciate how BBT compares, contrasts, and highlights similarities between Buddhism and Christianity.  For example, in the Buddhist view (47) everything that happens to us are the natural consequences of our actions…and if we don’t like what is happening, it is up to us to change” sounds to me “You reap what you sow.”  While I agree with this, Buddhism’s focus on the personal achievement of growth and change as the path to enlightenment doesn’t work for me. I identify with Paul ‘s words in Romans 7 recognizing that sometimes I am incapable of change and need God to change me from within so I can then work on changing how I think, act, respond. (In my faith tradition it’s called sanctification).  It also reminded me of a bumper sticker I saw a long time ago: “Jesus is better than Karma- you don’t get what you really deserve.”

I appreciate her description of “Jesus’…way of transformation” as involving more than believing what you are told.  Jesus isn’t afraid of cultivating our faith by asking questions. It requires “thinking deeply” and then “acting on the answers we arrive at in order to discover what is true.”   It made me think of so many of my patients that told me they struggled with unasked questions because they were told in their churches to do so would be questioning God and that is a ‘sin.”

One of the things I like about how BBT writes is that she is identifies with our struggles then broadens our scope of vision with a metaphor.  I so have a wave mentality and struggle to see the Ocean, but when I catch a glimpse, I think God says “Yes!”