Lee Whitlock
@lwhitlock

Mary, I like that line as well, “It’s Jesus I come home to at night.” I have loved learning the various approaches to scripture and learning about various faiths. I am forever grateful to my hometown pastor and mentor, Robert E. Cuttino. It was Bob, a Yale Divinity School Graduate, who insisted that I go to SBTS, and I went when “Giants roamed the land.” I studied under some of the best men in theological education at the time. I think I could hold my own in a theological discussion with any one along the theological spectrum. At night, however, I too come home to Jesus. “Do you love me?” He asks. I always answer, “Lord, you know I love you.” “Then,” He replies, “Feed my sheep.” That is a social and theological command. Matthew 25 makes that clear: feed them, give them water, visit them (sick or in a prison with bars or with thoughts), clothe them with outer garments, but also help them put on the whole armor of faith. It’s this Jesus I come home to. He makes following him simple. This is not a redacted Jesus or a Jesus that is discovered after a decision is made about which of Jesus’ sayings are authentic. It is this Jesus that I come home to – God as fully revealed in the face of Jesus. The Jesus who says simply, “Feed my sheep.” I pray, “Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray thee Jesus my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray thee Jesus my soul to take. I’ll try and do better tomorrow. Amen.”