Michael Porter
Participant
@mkporter

Lee,

With regards to the extremes, I have not had the ones mentioned.  When I was in my CPE residency, a Chaplain shared and experience about and individual who needed to have a leg amputated or he would die.  From the patient’s religious background, he believed that when one died the body was to remain together or he would go to hell.  The Chaplain helped the patient explore this.  The outcome was such that when the leg was amputated it could be buried in a cemetery plot and when the person died, he could be buried in the same plot as the leg and the body would be together.  This is how it played out.

Experiences I have had involve families who want “everything done” even though curative care was futile.  Families reasoning has come from a religious background that includes – pray hard enough and the person will be healed, God will work a miracle, faith will bring the cure … .   I agree “people shape their theology around their political leaning”.  I will go on to say that people shape their theology around the outcomes they want to have.

Mike