Rick Underwood
@RickUnderwood

William James, Rose, Gail, and others,

I am very grateful to Gail for facilitating and sharing in our journey.  Welcome back William and Rose and I hope others will join us soon.  If not, to coin a phrase, “where two or three or gathered together” good things can happen.  Grief is like change. It is something none of us can avoid without paying a large price.

In addition to my other postretirement involvements, I recently signed on as a part-time PRN chaplain.  In two months, almost all of my calls during the deep of night has been to sit with a dying patient and or family.  While I have certainly journeyed through grief over the loss of so much, I experience the first two phases discussed in your article in profound ways in a few minutes and hours of the anticipated and actual loss.

I am currently grieving the temporary loss of functioning after elective surgery. While I know this is short lived, I have been amazed at the impatience, irritation, and general uncomfortableness that has accompanied.

I wonder if my reinvesting myself in different projects is my way of avoiding the grief related to retirement?

Rick