All Courses Forums Course Discussion Forums Strategic Chaplaincy Week 3: Health Progress-Measuring Pastoral Care Performance-May-June 2018 Reply To: Week 3: Health Progress-Measuring Pastoral Care Performance-May-June 2018

In regards to the thread about whether we all have to be researchers, I wanted to add to the conversation by suggesting that many of our training programs did not prepare us to be researchers. I don’t recall a single seminary course that even remotely addressed current research, and my CPE, which was 22 years ago now, offered no education or training in this area either. I know ACPE and APC have made significant changes to curriculum and professional expectations since that time, but those of us with more “longevity” shall we say, got absolutely no help preparing to read research, much less design and conduct it. I think this has enormous bearing on our field’s ability to be research literate. Research is daunting enough if you’ve taken an academic course in research methods and worked in a research hospital. For those without any of that, we are left to fend for ourselves as best we can.