All Courses Forums Course Discussion Forums Strategic Chaplaincy Week 3: Health Progress-Measuring Pastoral Care Performance-May-June 2018 Reply To: Week 3: Health Progress-Measuring Pastoral Care Performance-May-June 2018

I very much enjoyed the article detailing the research regarding placing a chaplain in the emergency department. It really helped, especially since the recording was so challenging to understand. One thing I really appreciated was the emphasis on staff to support chaplain presence. It seems that the overwhelming majority of research is done to show Chaplains’ effectiveness in patient care, so this really stands out to me as unique in our field.

I am struck that this chaplain must have been strategically selected. All Chaplains are not skilled in staff care and debriefing, with or without the cism training, while others are gifted in this area, with or without the cism training. In my experience, building relationships of trust among the staff, showing a consistent presence, and being “one of them” in the “trenches” of the ED is what has earned me the right to provide staff care in the ED. Kudos to these researchers for such an excellent study! I would like to have heard more about specific tactics and even anecdotal stories of how the chaplain moved the needle from “I’m not religious, I don’t need this” to “Don’t take my chaplain away.”