All Courses Forums Course Discussion Forums Strategic Chaplaincy Week One: Professional /chaplaincy: Establishing a Hospital-based department Reply To: Week One: Professional /chaplaincy: Establishing a Hospital-based department

Daniel Roberts
@DanielRoberts

I agree  with Melanie that the complexity theory article was challenging.  To be honest, I think that it is a great example of how many academic writers struggle to write effectively.  Larry McEnerney is a professor at University of Chicago that teaches academics how to write.  He has a great YouTube video titled “LEADERSHIP LAB: The Craft of Writing Effectively.”  The article was a boring and laborious read without quality examples.

I have read the article by Handzo and Wintz before, and after reading it again, I again agree with Melanie that it is basic.  We are not taught the language of business, science, or healthcare at seminary, so it is a struggle sometimes to know what data administrators want.  I would encourage you to meet with your administrators and ask them about the data that is important to them.  Ask them what data will influence them to increase your department’s budget.  I did this one year at a hospital I served.  I did staff benchmarking based on average daily census with over twenty other similar hospitals.  I had research articles that showed spiritual cares impact.  They agreed that I went above and beyond what I was asked to supply.  Unfortunately, my budget along with several other department’s budgets were significantly cut.