All Courses Forums Course Discussion Forums Strategic Chaplaincy Week two: Seminar Recording: Spirituality – The New Elixir in the Care Contiunu Reply To: Week two: Seminar Recording: Spirituality – The New Elixir in the Care Contiunu

brandeaton
Participant
@brandeaton

I want to echo some of the concerns with language use in the presentation–although the use of the language of piety was not troubling in itself, it was jarring when used scattered amid the language of business metrics and quantitative research.  Maybe that’s just difficult for my heart and brain to put together at one time.

I was appreciative of the strides made through the use of research in bringing spiritual care into a for-profit long-term care provider to the degree that was accomplished.  That certainly demonstrates the benefit we can both derive and demonstrate with the use of evidence based research.

In my own planning of a research project with our assisted living community where I am, I was helped by this presentation to think about several things that will be important for us here: (1) religious care and spiritual care and what provides the most positive impact in the lives of residents; (2) how do we measure outcomes in any study of the impact of spiritual care and is there an existing survey instrument in use in our community specific to assisted living that may be helpful to employ; (3) including to a greater degree than first anticipated the entire care team in assessing the impact of spiritual care for the whole assisted living community, both residents and associates.