All Courses Forums Course Discussion Forums Strategic Chaplaincy Week two: Seminar Recording: Spirituality – The New Elixir in the Care Contiunu Reply To: Week two: Seminar Recording: Spirituality – The New Elixir in the Care Contiunu

I appreciated this presentation for its use of research to accomplish goals for the department and the institution. However I struggled with some of the language that the presenters used. There was a lot of war language–chaplain army, volunteer army, bullet proof. And it counfounded me a bit that while using research, the presenters spoke with the language of piety rather than the language of research. I don’t think this approach would work in my secular institution, so I was surprised by how well it apparently worked in theirs.

Some of the work also did not sound like language I am used to in BCC-level research. One example of this is the effort to “deconstruct suffering.” Some suffering needs to be deconstructed for sure, but some suffering is necessary and important (such as developmental suffering), at least according to Eric Cassell’s work. I was also a bit stunned by the Scriptural basis used to communicate to administration, as well as the company-wide prayer chain.

I wanted to appreciate this presentation more. Perhaps by reading your perspectives I will see this in a different light.