All Courses Forums Course Discussion Forums Creating a Caring Presence Week Three: Listening and Caring Skills, Chapter 3: Perception Check Reply To: Week Three: Listening and Caring Skills, Chapter 3: Perception Check

Wally Plock
Participant
@wemajh

Kathy

I love the quote, “The Samaritan gave as he could on his journey.”

He let himself be interrupted. He was fully present in a sacrificial way.  He was a neighbor and checked back in and then moved on.  Sometimes, as a care giver, I feel like a spiritual rain storm God sends to the person (s) in need.  A rain storm can be refreshing and cleansing and provide nutrients for the plants, but rarely is it remembered.  I come along side someone, they trust me and grace me with part of their story, they may find peace or healing or refreshment or strength from the Lord and their soul is nourished and I become a mist that the Lord used.  I too am refreshed by the encounter and move on to the next.  I can’t remember where but in the course of our readings and reflections, someone shared “he knew when to end it.”  I appreciate the natural rhythm of visits that seem to have a beginning, middle and natural end.  You can almost sense when the person is finished.  Sometimes it is a request for prayer.  Sometimes it is a thank you or a sigh. Then I continue my journey as you mentioned Kathy that the Samaritan did.   Jesus to came and gave pastoral care and moved on.