Wally Plock
Participant
@wemajh

Good morning all.

I just finished preparing my Sunday Morning Bible study lesson on blessings.

One key scripture is
<h3 dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.2; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 8pt;”><span style=”font-size: 14pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’; color: #000000; font-style: italic; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; text-decoration-line: underline; text-decoration-skip-ink: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>James 1:17</span><span style=”font-size: 14pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”> (NRSV)</span></h3>
<p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.2; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 20pt; margin-left: 36pt;”><span style=”font-size: 14pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-style: italic; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>Every generous act of giving, with every perfect gift, is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.</span></p>
<p dir=”ltr”>You are all a gift to me.  Knowing that God has called us into similar situations all around the country/world helps me remember I am no alone.  I hope we can stay connected for when a question or need to chaplain the chaplain comes up.  I too am blessed to be able to dance with our elders esp. on the memory care unit.</p>
<p dir=”ltr”>Singing is magic.  I am guessing most of you are aware of a powerful music program called “Alive Inside.”</p>
<p dir=”ltr”>Check it out on Youtube.  We adapt it to group sing alongs using old songs with the help of Amazon: Dean Martin, Doris Day, Louis Armstorng, Etc.  Alzheimers has a hard time erasing our old music memories (hymns and Christmas carols are great resources.)</p>
<p dir=”ltr”>David.  I found your worship suggestions very helpful.  I realize I have fallen into the trap of convenience.  It’s easier to do a communion service with the residents sitting at their square tables rather than gather them together.</p>
<p dir=”ltr”>  A circle would be more of a statement of community.  Using pictures religious works of art of Icons to start conversations is a great idea.  Visual rather than my words, or even a big white board with a key word on it.</p>
<span style=”font-size: 14pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-style: italic; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>Rick. What a wonderful gift experience to be able to connect with your father-in-law.</span>

<span style=”font-size: 14pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-style: italic; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>Thank you for the refresher on E.Erickson. It makes me wonder fo there are some deeper questions I might ask residents other than where did they grow up or what kind of work they did. The first one that comes to mind is what advice do you have for the younger generation. We did a wedding vow renewal service and I did ask one gentleman the secret to his successful marriage. He wisely said, “Putting her needs first.” Phil 2:3 NIV</span>

Mary What a a keen insight. <span style=”color: #737373; font-family: Lato; font-size: 12px;”>But on those days that I slow down, take a deep breath and pull up that needed energy – I find I do my best work.</span>

Reminds of a few scriptures.  Jesus said to the storm “Peace, be still”

Ps. 46:10.  Be STILL and Know that I AM is God.
<h1 class=”passage-display” style=”box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 14px; margin: 0px 0px 20px; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-weight: 500; line-height: 1.1; color: #000000;”><span class=”passage-display-bcv” style=”box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; font-size: 18px; margin: 0px; display: inline; padding-right: 6px;”>Isaiah 26:3</span> <span class=”passage-display-version” style=”box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; display: inline;”>New International Version (NIV)</span></h1>
<div class=”poetry top-05″ style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin-top: 1em; margin-left: 1em; position: relative; padding-left: 2.6em; margin-bottom: 1em; color: #000000; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;”>
<p class=”line” style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 24px;”><span id=”en-NIV-18134″ class=”text Isa-26-3″ style=”box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; position: relative;”><span class=”versenum” style=”box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 12px; line-height: 22px; position: absolute; vertical-align: top; top: 0px; font-family: Arial; font-weight: bold; display: block; left: -4.4em;”>3 </span>You will keep in perfect peace</span><br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” /><span class=”indent-1″ style=”box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;”><span class=”indent-1-breaks” style=”box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; font-family: monospace; font-size: 0.42em; line-height: 0;”>    </span><span class=”text Isa-26-3″ style=”box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; position: relative;”>those whose minds are steadfast,</span></span><br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” /><span class=”indent-1″ style=”box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;”><span class=”indent-1-breaks” style=”box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; font-family: monospace; font-size: 0.42em; line-height: 0;”>    </span><span class=”text Isa-26-3″ style=”box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; position: relative;”>because they trust in you.</span></span></p>

</div>
<span style=”color: #001320; font-family: Roboto, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-align: justify;”>Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves,</span>

Of course balancing this with good self care so we can avoid compassion fatigue/burn out. 🙂

The Holy Spirit delighting to do an amazing work through us jars of clay.

Rose.  Excellent example of how David’s less than sensitive counselor might have used body language reading to clarify what David was wanting to express.  I love when the eye contact often connected with music or a joke brings that smile or knowing.  I try to take a mental picture in my mind so at the end of the day when Jesus asks me what went well, I can remember, Oh yeah.  Mrs. Smith smiled when I talked about her bowling skills or Mr. Jones twinkled as he flirted with one of the nurses, Miss Betty lit up when I sang Que Sera sera with her…

I will reflect on the readings tomorrow.

<h1 class=”passage-display” style=”box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 14px; margin: 0px 0px 20px; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-weight: 500; line-height: 1.1; color: #000000;”></h1>