Wally Plock
Participant
@wemajh

Dave

You articulated well the many griefs that relatively healthy people go through when they move into a retirement/assisted living/nursing home setting.

<span style=”color: #737373; font-family: Lato; font-size: 12px;”>At this stage, grief and loss is a recurring significant issue. Even when thy are in good health, choosing to move here means they are giving up a home, space, possessions, neighborhoods, circles of support, familiar friends. Their journey here continues to be marked by loss of health, ability, cognition, strength, resources. </span>

I work with a similar population” sub acute rehab, long term nursing care and memory care.

It is amazing how many of them at each level just want to go home, back to where things were familiar and safe.  The people that seem to have had a life time faith seem to be able to cope better.  The ritual we provide is one resource. Our caring presence is another.  Their individual lense is key to how they progress.  It is hard to be an Eeyore and hard to offer an Eeyore alternatives. Being with them and letting them just be Eeyore is about all I have to offer sometimes.  For those of you who have worked with elders in long term care, have you noticed that some of the men have a harder time fitting in.  Our men rarely come to church or activities with the exception of outdoor evening concerts.

Dave more of a question than a thought, but with the different levels of loss you describe, what spiritual resources do you provide or what ones do your elders find helpful.  The loss of meaning, purpose and hope are biggies that I see.