All Courses Forums Course Discussion Forums Creating a Caring Presence Oates Creating a Caring Presence / Week One Discussion Reply To: Oates Creating a Caring Presence / Week One Discussion

Wally Plock
Participant
@wemajh

Good morning all

I am pleasantly snowed in here in Ilion (near Utica) New York.  Unfortunately, I left my book at work, but want to reflect on Rick’s thoughts.

<span style=”color: #737373; font-family: Lato; font-size: 12px;”>1. What are my unique gifts as a team member in a spiritual care setting?  My intuitive ability to see the big picture and to reframe tough or challenging situations. I am also a good connector of folks who might benefit from each other.</span>

Three excellent gifts. intuition that sees the big picture, reframing tough situations and connecting people.

You role as teacher and facilitator of our course is an obvious use of your big picture and connector gifts.  Thank you for this question.

It is important for me to remember that I am called, chosen and gifted for my ministry.  God chooses to work through us and we are often privileged to be with people and help them through some pretty significant events.

My gifts are listening, encouraging, helping (I’m a strong  Enneagram #2) and having compassion.

It is important for me to keep a balance between arrogance and false humility.

<span style=”color: #737373; font-family: Lato; font-size: 12px;”>I am aware of the Presence of Love, the Face of Christ, the hovering of the Holy Spirit or whatever one wants to call that.  That Presence reassures me that I’m not standing there alone with these folks in pain.</span>

Rick this statement is extremely insightful.  It represents the mystery and grace of what we get to do.  In Christian terminology, we are ambassadors but also a friend who comes along side with a grace not generated by our self, a treasure in earthen vessels.  It is amazing to see when people sense and feel the Spirit of God during a pastoral care encounter.  The tears come, the story unfolds simply from introducing ourselves as the chaplain or pastoral/spiritual care giver.

<span style=”color: #737373; font-family: Lato; font-size: 12px;”>some anxiety and anticipation are healthy and alert us to pay attention to point of the person’s need… presence is more important than words… pastoral presence = sharing in the other person’s awkwardness and uncertainty.</span><span style=”color: #737373; font-family: Lato; font-size: 12px;”> </span>

I think a little nervousness and apprehension before a visit is a good thing esp. the first visit as we try to establish rapport and relationship.  You may have seen this before,  but the following link is a great poem I came across during my CPE days.

I am humbled. A hospital chaplain’s prayer

I am Humbled – A Hospital Chaplain’s Prayer

Blessings

Wally