Wally Plock
Participant
@wemajh

A time I received pastoral care.  Effective.  One of our long time employees died just before Christmas at the age of 60 (Cancer.)  I had ministered to her mother in law who died at the nursing home a few years ago. We had set up a time for our affiliate Community Hospice chaplain to be available for staff.  I felt the burden of ministering to my colleagues who were very close with Fran* (*name changed) as well as grieving the loss of a fellow worker.  I spent some time with the Hospice Chaplain who listened well, asked a few good questions, showed empathy and prayed with me.  I said at the end of our visit, there are times when the chaplain needs a chaplain.

As far as a time I’ve offered pastoral care, I am blessed to be able to have many opportunities a day, but I learn more from the times I fall short in my own estimation.  It sometimes happens when I am distracted by my to do list.  I find myself thinking about the next item/person/task and am not fully present to the person in front of me.  A quick prayer and I am out of the door.  Yesterday, I just wanted to give one of the residents a quick hello and be on my way.  Three times she called me back to ask a question.  Instead of sitting and visiting with her, I said I would see her later and prayer for her.