william james
@willliam james schafer

Kristin, Paul and Dina,

Great reflections!  I too have experienced a reluctance on part of the interdisciplinary team in discuss and/or completing an spiritual screening.  During my five months tour with a local  hospice the team reserved any and all spiritual concerns/issues/etc to the chaplain, however for any reason i was unavailable the social worker would complete the prescribe intake.

The intake…what a joke!  The form was true to one’s understanding of religion and religiosity, ie., what church do you attend, how often, name of minister.  Never a mention of what gives the patient and family members their ‘meaning and purpose(s) in life’.

I whole heartily agreed the team needs to be on the same page regarding spirituality.  I seems to me this is an ongoing process that can and should be one of the chaplain’s greatest gifts to the team. Education, education, education.  To this notion I vaguely recall a resource entitled,”What do I say; addressing spirituality” that did any excellent job of understanding spiritual distress and how anyone can simply recognizes, address and assist. I recall the book had a CD with many vignettes depicting C.N.A’s, RN, and Physicians utilizing the necessary skill set to compassionately and professionally accompany others in spiritual needs.  All this being said, I say the process is going to take time, intentional persistence upon the spiritual care givers in education, supporting and promotion.

Personally good self care consist of daily mediation, 12 step work, excerise, prayer and not taking myself too seriously.

Many blessings!

wj