Lori Casey BSN MDiv., BCC-PCHAC
Participant
@lcasey

Hello, Sorry for the late reply.  I am having trouble finding where this site is at times.  I am a nurse turned ordained United Methodist Minister. I cannot think of any place I would rather be than the bedside of someone in crisis or dying. For the last six years I worked as the Palliative Care Chaplain at Baptist Healthcare Lexington Hospital.   Reading the Consensus conference recommendations brought back a lot of memories. Our hospital pursued Joint Commission Certification of our Palliative Care program.  I used this report and a wonderful book, “Making Healthcare Whole” by Dr. Christina Puchalski, to develop our palliative care spiritual care charting  and learn more about Palliative Care.  When it comes to doing a spiritual screening or a spiritual history, for some healthcare providers, there was a reluctance to asking the patient(s) about spiritual needs.  Some told me they felt they were intruding on the patient’s privacy.   Then, if they determined that the chaplain could be helpful, how they offered spiritual support to the patient made a huge difference.  For example, sometimes they would say, “You don’t need to talk to the chaplain do you?” or “Oh my gosh, do you want me to call the chaplain?”  Thankfully I was required to see all palliative patient consults and used the tool FICA for  spiritual history taking.  The physician who was the head of our Palliative Team was wonderful and opened doors right and left for me. He would say, “My team will be by to meet you, my nurse, social working and my chaplain.”  So when I walked in to introduce myself, they had had a “heads up” that I would be coming and I believe that greatly helped neutralize any concerns the patient may have had about a chaplain showing up.

I am looking forward to learning from you all in this seminar.  Dina I hope you are not getting rained out in Plains, GA from hurricane Michael.

I will post again soon.   Lori