Lee Whitlock
@lwhitlock

Hello Everyone,

I’m sorry I’m late to the party. I’m having some health issues, and last week was “doctor week.” I had appointments and/or treatment every day but one.

I’m looking forward to the Caring Presence Program especially as I seek ways to minister to others in my church, Crescent Hill Baptist Church in Louisville, KY. We have a diverse congregation with a large elderly population. Amazingly, over 50% of the congregation have had relationships with the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary prior to its “change in direction” in the 90s. Either they have attended classes, graduated, and/or are children of graduates. We even have a smattering of missionary families in our church.

I graduated from SBTS in 1974 with an M.Div. in Theology and Biblical Studies. I also had a healthy dose of Pastoral Care classes. I practiced ministry for 10 years only to discover that being a pastor was not how I wanted to continue my ministry. I went back to SBTS in the 80s to earn a Ph.D. and did about 1.5 years work. In the meantime, finances and a change in marital status led me to a business career. I actually found that my Seminary training was a plus. I served as an Adult Education Teacher for five years, as Regional Training Director for American Greetings, as a Senior Consultant for Zenger-Miller and Holden International, as an English Professor for a 2-year college, and finally as CEO for Beacon House, a recovery house for men with alcohol and/or drug addictions. During my consulting years, I traveled to 35 countries and 43 US states. After my third retirement, I did volunteer work for various organizations (Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts, SCORE, Jefferson County Board of Education, etc.).

Most important in my life is being the father of two daughters (41, 39). Most of my volunteer work now is with CHBC including being a SS teacher using the Lectionary series. I am currently on hiatus from CHBC as I deal with Multiple Myeloma (a form of cancer).

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Lee Whitlock