Cindy Wallace
@CindyWallace

In regards to chapter two and the engagement of mental health field around spirituality:  I can only speak for my experience, but in my hospital (which is a Catholic health care system, grounded in faith-based values), it continues to be a difficult road in some areas to help staff see spiritual care as equally important as symptom management.  There is more focus on mindfulness-deep breathing, meditation, grounding- but mainly in the context of symptom management.  Where I am beginning to see a shift is in our focus on trauma-centered care.  Trauma centered-care focuses on the root of the problems, rather than simply symptom management.  It focuses of meaning-making, building resilience, learning and growing from our past and building on our inner resources to become more healthy.  I see this as what we have been doing all along!  I will say, that I have seen growth in the appreciation of spiritual care in our setting over the last 3 years as I have made it an expectation that we all be an active part of the interdisciplinary team staffings.  This had not been happening regularly, but after doing this for 3 years, the staff across the hospital are referring more patients to us for individual sessions, and integrating us into a part of the care plans on a more regular basis. It is a slow movement, but a movement, nonetheless.