Joy Freeman
Participant
@jfreeman

Hi all,

Trying to get a bit of a jump on this.  My name is Joy Freeman and I am an American Baptist Ordained Chaplain.  I am also Board Certified through the Association of Professional Chaplains.  I’ve been in chaplaincy for 17 years and have been at the Hospital where I am employed for 15 years.  I serve as primary chaplain to Maternity as well as covering general referrals and critical care multi-disciplinary rounds.  We are a small staff so we all do a little bit of it all.  In the last year I have come to be the go to chaplain for our focus on staff care and I bring a lot of mindfulness techniques and perspectives to my care.

Outside of work I’m a mom to a very busy almost 11 year old, wife of 16 years to an amazingly supportive and understanding husband as well as very active in my church and our church’s creative outreach partnership with a not-for-profit tea house.  I wear many hats.  When I’m not helping my kiddo train for her black belt testing in tae kwon do, I’m doing my own training as a Tae Kwon Do Black belt.  I also teach a form of Tai Chi called Taijifit.  I love to read fantasy and mystery novels and play role playing games as well as craft and sew.

I’m taking this class because I have noticed a distinct increase in the amount of patients we are seeing at the hospital who are in a mental health crisis.  I feel incredibly lacking in my skills and broad understanding of mental health issues in general and mental health chaplaincy more specifically.  I am hoping that this class will help me gain a better understanding of how mental health and spirituality fit together, particularly as it relates to supporting those who are in clear crisis as that is the population I am seeing more and more in the general hospital setting.

Looking forward to learning with you all.

Blessings,

Joy