All Courses Forums Course Discussion Forums Helping Children Grieve Reflections On a Child's Death – Rev. Dr. Amy Schacht Reply To: Reflections On a Child's Death – Rev. Dr. Amy Schacht

Lori Casey BSN MDiv., BCC-PCHAC
Participant
@lcasey

Dierdre, I so agree with your observation that in times of grief our common grief can bind us together. People long to make sense of loss for many reasons. The most fortunate have a faith tradition that says:
“Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.” (Ps23:4 NIV)
Believers come together to affirm each other in faith, assurance, and hope.

I also have had several people tell me they want to know “why” something happened so that they can “ensure” (as if that is possible…) that it won’t happen to them. I also agree that children are creative in their grief or in caring for the grief observed in others. This is simplistic compared to death, but I remember being tearful because we left the beautiful Colorado mountains. My daughter, 7y/o at the time, drew and colored in mountains on a piece of paper. She taped little flowers to the base of the mountains and wrote: “Mommy you don’t have to miss the mountains.” Kids are very aware of the grief in others.