All Courses Forums Course Discussion Forums Helping Children Grieve Reflections On a Child's Death – Rev. Dr. Amy Schacht Reply To: Reflections On a Child's Death – Rev. Dr. Amy Schacht

Dierdre Jarrett
Participant
@Dierdrej

This article reminded me of a quote I sometimes say – that I often do my best ministry when I don’t know what I am doing – Rev Dr Amy leaned into God for direction and let the most loving response be her guide – not tradition or liturgy but what would comfort and provide meaning. I love that the boys’ team honored their friend with their shirts. Children are often creative and thoughtful in their grief if adults give them space and opportunity to do so.  In times of grief perhaps more than any other time our common grief can bind us together. Those 500 gathered that bore witness to the boy’s life are changed by that – and their presence expressed a compassionate presence for his parents. It seems the various communities he and his parents were a part of came together in support and love. I don’t know why children must die but I am often in awe of the support God ensures to those left behind…