Michael Porter
Participant
@mkporter

Hi Carl,

I am glad your health issues are being resolved and hope you continue to improve.  I am sorry to hear about your experience with the Chaplain.  As the person in the bed, I believe you should not have the responsibility to facilitate the engagement.  For me, I start with social chat and listen for opportunities for engagement and pursue that with clarifying statements and questions.  If a person wants to engage he or she will.

The articles for this seminar further honed my approach to spiritual care.  I admit at times  my efforts to engage someone could be better.  I realized that at times I maybe taking what I do for granted.  The articles reminded me what I am there for and gave some new insights and ideas and provided tools to grow.

This seminar gave me a good sense that doctors are taking an interest in the holistic approach in taking care of people and that it is being addressed in their education.  We Chaplains have an opportunity to step up and assist them in this learning curve as we bring our expertise to the team.  I am fortunate to work with an Intensivist in our ICU who has a great understanding and passion for the holistic approach to care and addresses these issues in our multidisciplinary meetings.

The discussion that took place was good and helpful.  I wish there was more of it.  The best I could tell there was four of us who participated, which limits discussion.  There is only so much to discuss when the obvious is presented.  More people may have brought more to the table.

I struggled with this this new format, which is slightly different than the one I participated in back in February.  I think I got the hang of it, but do not know if all of my posts where seen by others.

All-in-all, this was a great experience and I am glad to have been a part of it.  Thank you all for your discussions and insights – much appreciate.

Peace,  Mike