Rick Underwood
@RickUnderwood

Dierdre,

I had the same question as you.  Was this initiative implemented and if so, how has it been?  While I totally agree with the underlying premise of this initiative, I suspect that getting everyone to participate in the process as designed would be very challenging.  Like it or not, the prime drivers continue to be physicians.  Where physicians embrace this holistic approach and invite others in, I can see it being very beneficial.

Recently, my brother-in-law was diagnosed with cancer of the lung that had metastasized to his bones, brain, liver, and chest. He was transferred to the Catholic rehab, long-term care facility.  No treatment was recommended for cancer.  My wife, his sister is a nurse practitioner is assisting her brother and his two grown sons in deciding on future arrangements.  It is clear that the left-hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing. It is very confusing if with a very knowledgeable family member and medical professional trying to serve as an advocate.

I look forward to hearing what others think about this article.  Have you seen this kind of process work?

Rick